We're Social

Elvie 'OG' Pump Review

The Elvie pump was the very first wearable pump I tried. I was originally going to go with Willow 3.0 but got cold feet after hearing about the learning curve and returned it (I later purchased the Willow 3.0 anyways). I bought the Elvie pump a month before my due date and allowed myself some time to "learn it."



Before we get started, please see our affiliation disclosures and privacy here.
What Our Mamas Think About the Elvie Pump

Overall Group Rating: ★★★★☆


PROS
  • Discrete fit; sound level and design
  • Less learning curve over other wearable pumps
  • Gentler suction

CONS
  • have to reassemble often
  • not enough suction level options
  • Expensive parts
  • Warps in heat sterilization
  • Not great for elastic nipples

The Elvie Pump "Learning Curve"

If i'm being honest, I didn't have much of a learning curve with Elvie. But the Elvie learning curve also came down to finding the right bra-- and support. Unlike my Willow 3.0 pump, with Elvie I responded best to a loose bra fit. I used the bra extenders included with the pump or loosened the straps on my KB Sublime bra.

Things to Consider about the Elvie Pump

I have a natural bias towards Elvie because it was my "pop-in-and-go" wearable pump, I rarely had to troubleshoot it! But that doesn't mean that everyone will have that same experience. The most common concerns about the Elvie are:The nipples cover the suction holes and the pump loses suction
The pumps leak if you bend over too far or with a fast let down
Not great for women with elastic nipples or fast let downs

So how do you address these two issues? Squat, don't bend! Being properly sized with inserts/cushions can help with holding the tissue back and not block the suction holes. If you have a fast let down, lower the suction power during let down.
Sizing and Insert Recommendations

Sizing is always important, but especially with wearable pumps and remember, the best size flange is one that's comfortable while pumping and empties you well. If you need help sizing for your Elvie OG flanges, book here.

Elvie flange sizing: 0-2mm bigger than pre-pump nipple size

Remember when I mentioned that the Elvie suctions holes can get blocked when the nipple is pulled? Well the placement of those holes makes it a little hard to choose inserts, because most of the require cutting. The new Pumping Pretty inserts were designed with a notch cut out to clear the Elvie suction hole.


* The Maymom and Fitmie inserts must be cut to fit
**the Lozaeve inserts run big but don't have to be cut

You can also use LacTeck flanges in the 28mm Elvie shield to create a longer flange tunnel. The LacTeck flanges do have to be cut to clear the suction hole.
Do I recommend the Elvie Pump?

Absolutely! The Elvie was my trusty wearable pump; little learning curve and gentle on the nipples. But if you have elastic nipples or really need something leak-proof, consider the Willow 3.0.

Subscribe to our YouTube Channel here.


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment