We're Social

Willow 3.0 Pump Review

The Willow 3.0 was my third wearable pump. Pumping got increasingly harder for me because my daughter was walking, climbing, and nearly running by the time that she was nine months old. I purchased the Willow to take advantage of their leak-proof bags and not worry about the common leaking complaints of the Elvie pump.




What Our Mamas Think About the Willow 3.0

Overall Group Rating: ★★★☆☆

PROS
  • Great battery life
  • I love the app integration/interface
  • Bags are great for on the go
  • Convenient
  • Comfortable (with correct fit)
CONS
  • Flip to finish takes practice
  • Reusable containers leak
  • Doesn’t get as much output as my non wearable
  • Bags are sold out a lot
  • Error codes get annoying
  • The Willow 3.0 "Learning Curve"
Overall, my experience with the Willow 3.0, wasn't as smooth as my experience with the Elvie pump. I joined a Willow support fb group for tips, but still found myself troubleshooting beyond the tips I received. I was determined to "learn" this pump -- moms rave about it! And it's the only pump on the market that's truly leak-proof.

The biggest issues I faced were not being able to get out of stimulation mode, and getting "bag full" errors because my bags always filled up with air. I tried all the tips and tricks provided -- nothing seems to help with those issues. Ultimately, it came down to finding the right bra. About a month in to my "Willow learning curve" I decided to pop my Willow hubs into my KB Ultra Comfort Sports bra and y'all it worked!!! To make sure that it wasn't another "honey moon" phase I tried them again (and again!), and they kept giving me consistent output. Finding the right bra was the missing link.

Things to Consider about the Willow 3.0

Like any other wearable pump, the Willow 3.0 comes with its quirks. It's important to buy with realistic expectations. The pumps are heavier and have a larger profile than my other wearable pumps
If you want softer flanges you can hack the 27mm flanges it with LacTeck flanges
You need the right bra for these pumps! The only bra that worked for me was the KB sports bra, but KB Sublime bra is highly rated for the Willow 3.0 because of it's quality and supportive material.
Sizing and Insert Recommendations

Sizing is always important, but especially with wearable pumps and remember, the best size flange is one that's comfortable while pumping and empties you well. If you need help sizing for your Willow 3.0 flanges, book here.

Willow flange sizing: 0-1mm bigger than pre-pump nipple size (exact sizing)

Remember: because of the unique suction of the Willow, sizing up is not advised unless there are no available options in your size. If that's the case, buy the next available size.

The unique suction of the Willow (never releases the nipple) limits the type of inserts you should use. It is recommended to use inserts that have long flange tunnels.Willow 3.0 requires precise flange sizing
Short style inserts are not recommended to avoid mushrooming (ouch!)

Do I Recommend the Willow 3.0?

Yes, and here's why. Willow 3.0 is the only wearable pump that is truly leak-proof and offers a bag collection option. If you work in a field where you're worried about contamination, if you're in a phase where you have to be mobile while pumping, the bags will offer you piece of mind. There are some moms that can pump laying down, I wasn't so lucky but that's another huge selling feature.

If the learning curve scares you, check out the Elvie pump.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment